Who Are Baptists?
They are followers of Jesus Christ who presently seek to reproduce the pattern of Christianity and church life found in the New Testament.
How Many Baptists Are There?
Baptists constitute the largest evangelical religious group in the United States. Approximately one out of every five church members in this country is a Baptist. The largest group of Baptists is the Southern Baptist Convention which has more than 16,000,000 members in approximately 45,000 churches.
Are All Baptists Alike?
They are not alike in every particular. However, they all acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord and accept the New Testament as the controlling force for their faith and practice.
- The complete inspiration and authority of the scripture.
- The responsibility and competency of the individual to deal directly with God.
- Salvation as God’s gift of divine grace received through repentance and faith.
- A regenerated church membership.
- Each church as an independent self-governing body of immersed believers with all members possessing equal rights and privileges.
- The ordinances as symbols and reminders.
- Baptism by immersion of believers only upon the authority of a New Testament Church.
- Absolute religious liberty.
- Complete separation of church and state.
Where Can I Go For More Information?
The Baptist Faith and Message as adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000.